Latest school shooting helps disprove liberal myths about gun violence
The most recent shooting in a school, this past Friday at Arapahoe High School, south of Denver, Colorado, helped disprove two popular liberal myths about gun violence.
- Liberals immediately blame conservatives, and specifically the grassroots Tea Party, for gun violence at every opportunity. Yet the Arapahoe High School shooter, 18-year-old Karl Halverson Pierson, was an outspoken socialist who couldn’t stand conservatives. (Interestingly, The Denver Post newspaper ran a story on Pierson’s background which mentioned his socialist leanings, then later edited out, without comment, any mention of socialism in that story. UPDATE: Meanwhile, Denver Post editor Lee Ann Colaciappo claimed that she removed “socialist” from the story because student eyewitnesses don’t know what “socialist” means and therefore cannot be trusted to use it to describe Pierson. Also the Wall Street Journal reports that Pierson declared himself to be a communist and often wore Soviet-styled t-shirts to school.) Similarly, Arizona shooter Jared Loughner and Aurora movie theater shooter James Holmes are both liberals, a fact which the media has worked to conceal. Gay activist Floyd Lee Corkins II, who opened fire at the offices of the Family Research Center in Washington D.C. and wounded a security guard, is a liberal who was steered to attack the FRC by a “hate map” published by the left-wing Southern Poverty Law Center. This is an ongoing pattern of leftist violence which the media aggressively censors, blaming conservatives instead. The Arapahoe High School shooting is yet another example.
- After the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown Connecticut in 2012, both “educators” and the media widely ridiculed the National Rifle Association’s recommendation that all schools should have armed guards. Yet over this past weekend, the Arapahoe County Sheriff said that the presence of an armed guard (an Arapahoe County deputy sheriff) prevented more violence, and caused Pierson to shoot himself, ending the incident. The sheriff’s comments validate the NRA’s position, as does simple common sense. A person who wishes to commit violence will not do it where he/she has a good chance of being stopped or killed by other people who are similarly armed. This means armed guards are required in schools in order to prevent gun violence.
Anti-gun activists vow an expensive fight in 2014 to roll back individual freedoms. But their efforts in 2013 are proving to have been VERY counterproductive:
- Stock prices for gun manufacturers have skyrocketed
- Public opposition to gun control efforts is rising, not falling (up 24 percent in 2013)
- Gun-related murder and homicide rates have fallen from 6.6/100,000 in 1993 to 3.2/100,000 in 2011, even as gun ownership increased from 192 million to 310 firearms in the United States
- Anti-gun groups spent $14.1 million on TV advertising in 2013 against pro-gun groups’ $1.9 million (a 7:1 advantage), yet they only increased opposition to gun control efforts
- Of 1500 state and local anti-gun legislative bills in 2013, 109 were passed; 39 placed further restrictions on guns, and 70 actually loosened restrictions on guns
- In Newtown, Connecticut, site of the Sandy Hook school shootings in 2012, gun permits increased by 210% in the first five months of 2013. Statewide, Connecticut gun permits increased by 78% in March through September.
Do your part to ensure your own freedom and safety. Buy a weapon today, and learn how to use it. Your life may depend on it.