Skip to content

JetBlue has my vote

2012-03-08T22:25:52+00:00

A family was kicked off a JetBlue flight from the Turks & Caicos Islands in the Caribbean to Boston because they couldn’t control their two-year-old daughter. She wouldn’t sit in her seat and stop screaming. So the captain booted them off the plane.

I have zero sympathy. If I had a nickel for every time I was stuck on a plane with a screaming toddler, I would be able to charter my own flight, if not buy my own plane outright. And these parents are rich. The woman is a doctor. They can afford to leave the kids at home with a nanny while they go on their Caribbean vacation.

Personally, I don’t think children should be allowed on public transportation until they’re at least five years old. Maybe ten. They’re a liability and a hazard. And when parents are unwilling or unable to train their children to behave properly in public, I don’t think the parents should be allowed on public transportation either. “A little consideration, a little humanity, is all I’m looking for,” to misquote the good doctor. Her inconvenience is minor, compared to the collective inconvenience her daughter caused that planeload of passengers.

Their daughter’s tantrum cost them an extra $2,000 in hotel and rebooking fees. That’s probably pocket change for them. When she’s old enough, they can take it out of her allowance.

Zero tolerance, zero sympathy. Perhaps I should run my own airline.

UPDATE: Apparently NBC’s “The Today Show,” that bastion of liberal irrelevancy on morning television, did a story on the benighted parents who were kicked off the JetBlue flight because of their squalling child. Then NBC ran a poll, and 70 percent of the respondents sided with JetBlue’s decision.

What worries me is that 30 percent of the respondents DIDN’T side with JetBlue. Apparently there are a lot of stupid people out there who like being inconvenienced by inept, stupid parents who cannot (or will not) control their unruly children. Those 30 percent are the people to whom Hillary Clinton was speaking when she said that “it takes a village to raise a child.” The other 70 percent of the respondents know that Clinton’s statement is untrue. It takes firm parenting to raise a child. Firm parenting, from the parents. Or, when all else fails, from the airline.

One Comment
  1. 2012-03-18T03:58:25+00:00 03:58

    I am SO with JetBlue. Parenting seems an abdicted role, and subjecting other flyers to one’s bad parenting in confined quarters is akin to torture.

    We are tough parents, and our kids have all flown before they could walk, had passports before they could talk. None of them has ever thrown a tantrum on a plane; without teh aid of benadryl (unless they were sick, of course). Every time we flew when they were young, people would thank us, and we were grateful.

    Like

Comments are closed.